Giggling children skip and jump through garden sprinklers. Steaks sizzle on barbecues. Star-spangled fireworks decorate velvet skies. It’s summertime in the USA; the season of summer parties and Independence Day festivities.
Jennie, who teases readers with tantalizing, do-able desserts at her blog, MessyBaker.com hosts our virtual SundaySupper summertime festivities. She’ll cheer on the parade of scrumptious summertime barbecue and 4th of July delights contributed by fellow food bloggers. (You’re invited to join, too. Scroll down to see the details of this Twitter event.)
Without pulling in too many dark clouds over our sunny days, I’m concerned about all the allergies that seem to be attacking America’s children. As part of my patriotic contribution to the holiday, I'm encouraging healthy choices by using non-GMO organic corn, steamed, grilled and served with a choice of 3 Asian accented toppings. And I’m advocating dairy items that come from happy (non-BHT injected) cows.
Cows not injected with bovine growth hormones are healthier
& America's children reap the benefits.
(Australia, New Zealand & Japan have banned BHTs.)
Now, let the sun beam down on the barbecue goodies:
3 Corns with Japanese Accents
Steam corn for 30 minutes. Pop on the grill for about 4 minutes, making sure every side is covered. Grapeseed oil, by the way, is great for an indoor grill. The oil complements and enhances the food. (While olive oil is wonderful, commonly the oil insists on being the star flavor.)
Top with one or more of the following:
Mayo & Miso
Mix together 1 tablespoon of Japanese mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon of miso. Slather this savory coating on 1 large ear of sweet corn.
Note: This is also a great dip for celery and carrots.
Mayo & Miso are lovely on corn and salad!
Raw Butter, Raw Parmigiano-Reggiano & Togarashi (Japanese chili pepper)
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Rub on a stalk of steamed and grilled corn. Sprinkle with grated cheese and togarashi Japanese (chili) pepper. Shichimi togarashi is another option. Sesame seeds, citrus peel, seaweed and few other spices jump in with the chili pepper.
Warning: Have a tall glass of water available if you plan to sprinkle more than a light covering of togarashi.
Japanese style chili 'n cheese corn
Tamari or Soy Sauce
Marinate steamed corn in 3 tablespoons of organic tamari or soy sauce for about 15 minutes before grilling. Some also like to melt butter over their corn before splashing soy sauce onto the ears.
Fun facts: Both tamari and soy sauce are made from fermented soybeans. However, tamari is a bit thicker than its cousin.
Corn splashed with soy sauce.
The pictured shishito Japanese peppers are closer in taste to a
green pepper than the hot stuff.
Love to learn your favorite tips, tricks and veggie toppings in the comments section.
For more side dishes, main meals and desserts see the links for the food parade below. Enjoy!
Hot Off the Grill:
- Best Grilled Pork Chops by Hezzi-D's Books & Cooks
- Bleu Cheese Burgers by Juanita's Cocina
- Korean Grilled Flank Steak by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Swedish Blonde Burgers by Eat, Move, Shine
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs by La Cocina De Leslie
- BBQing the Whole Hog, Cuban Style by Webicurean
- Chorizo and Scallop Kebobs by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Meat Stuffed Jalapenos by The Urban Mrs
- St. Louis Ribs by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Fish Kebabs with Mint Chutney by Soni's Food
- Jalapeno Bacon Burgers by Cookin' Mimi
- Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Bacon Burgers by In the Kitchen with KP
- Fish Kebabs with Mint Chutney by Soni's Food
- Curried Pork Sliders with Peanut Sauce & Apple Slaw by Foxes Love Lemons
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breasts by Sustainable Dad
- Ditch Dogs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Bison Kabobs by Noshing With The Nolands
On the Side:
- Spicy Baked Beans by The Messy Baker
- Wisconsin Roasted Corn by Curious Cuisiniere
- German Potato Salad by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled New Potatoes With Peppers And Onions by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sausage Potato Salad by girlichef
- Lightened Up Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Homemade Mustards by A Stack of Dishes
- Spicy Grilled Corn Salad by Magnolia Days
- California Layered Pasta Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Potato Salad by In Fine Balance
- Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad by Hip Foodie Mom
- Three Corns with Japanese Accents by Ninja Baking
- Cucumber Bruschetta by Healthy. Delicious.
- Grilled Zucchini by Supper for a Steal
- Chicken Spinach & Pasta Salad by Family Foodie
- Red, White & Blue Parfait by Country Girl in the Village
- Root Beer Float Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gluten Free Brownies by Blueberries & Blessings
- Grilled Stone Fruit Parfait by Pescetarian Journal
- Blueberry Sorbet by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Tres Leches Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Beach Cupcakes by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Grilled Banana Dessert Bar by Home Cooking Memories
- Berries & Cream Pie by Treats & Trinkets
- Raspberry Lemonade Frozen Yogurt Pops by Runner's Tales
- More S'mores by Growing Up Gabel
- Blackberry Peach Cobbler by Neighborfood
- Cornbread Cookies by Pies & Plots
- Funfetti Fluff Cheerio Treats by What Smells So Good?
- Pineapple Pudding by Granny's Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
In the Cooler:
- Cherry Caipiroska by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mint Tea Slushes by Cindy's Recipes and Writing
Prickly Pear Margaritas by Ruffles & Truffles?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Wishing you the freedoms you need to pursue happiness.
The Ninja Baker
© ™ Watkinson 2012
The Ninja Baker has guest blogged and contributed recipes to numerous food sites. These additional recipes can be found here.