Everyday white cake is transformed into sophisticated sweetness with the addition of wine. The chocolate in the cake and in the frosting also flirts well with the Café Zinfandel.
Adapted from the white cake recipe on the back of the King Arthur cake flour box.
For the cake:
- 2 ¾ cups cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup soft unsalted butter
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- ½ cup Café Zinfandel
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Pink food coloring
- Chocolate syrup
For the chocolate ganache frosting:
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 9 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Café Zinfandel
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
1. In a kitchen stand mixer, whisk all of the dry ingredients on slow speed for 2 minutes.
2. Drop in pats of butter and combine until the mixture is crumbly.
3. Beat in the egg whites followed by the whole egg.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the Zinfandel and cream.
5. Slowly add the Zinfandel cream mixture to the mixer bowl.
6. Sprinkle a few drops of pink food coloring into the batter. On medium-high speed let the beaters combine all ingredients until fluffy. (About 3 minutes.)
7. Pour ½ of the batter into a well-greased and panko breadcrumb covered bundt pan. Drizzle in chocolate syrup. Cover with the remaining batter and swirl in more chocolate syrup.
8. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a chopstick (or skewer) emerges clean when inserted into the center.
9. While the cake cools, in a small sauce pan combine ½ cup of heavy cream, 9 ounces of chopped dark chocolate, 2 tablespoons of Café Zinfandel and 1 tablespoon of strawberry jam. (Double this recipe if you want to completely cover the cake.)
10. Drizzle the ganache frosting onto the cooled cake. (You can also use a clean paintbrush reserved only for food use to paint the frosting onto the cake.)
Tip: Scrape the bowl often to ensure all ingredients are incorporated into the yummy mixture.