“All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” Abraham Lincoln
Who is the biggest influence in your life today?
As Mother’s Day approaches, memories from days past pop into my mind. My birth mother, the Wimbledon tennis star, was more focused on smashing balls over the net than perfecting her potatoes. Yet, on my summer visits to her home in Cambridge, Massachusetts, she managed to scramble the best eggs in the world. I swore it was the sour cream that made the eggs extra delicious. Today I think the breakfast-for-dinner meal was satisfying because Mom made it.
The banana bread made by my stepmother, Barbara, was spectacular, too. I grew up with Barbara, an actress (with an eye for exquisite antiques) in Tokyo. As she was constantly booking jobs, her baking time in the kitchen was curtailed. However, I have fond memories of Barbara slicing cheese and nibbling on crackers as she regaled Dad and me with tales from her glamorous day. I don’t think Barbara would describe her work as glamorous. But it sure beat trying to solve algebra problems!
Figuring out what I wanted to make for this Mother’s Day weekend, though, was a breeze. Japanese bread flour in my pantry beckoned; and the Cuisinart bread maker machine stared coldly at me. Time to stop procrastinating. I picked up sharp cheddar cheese and celebrated happy memories with this cheese bread.
Just as mothers influence their children, ingredients do make a huge difference when baking. Japanese flour lends itself to soft, fluffy bread slices. My cheese bread is no exception. The combination in the bread of sweet butter with touches of sharp cheddar cheese is excellent, too. If you are a huge cheese fan, feel free to add more cheese. Enjoy the cheese bread with a goblet of Merlot or glass of milk. Cheers!
This bread is full of contrasts: feather soft bread surrounded by crunchy crust, buttery sweetness accented with strings of sharp cheddar cheese.
This recipe is adapted from the Cuisinart Bread Machine Instruction Booklet
- ¾ cup lukewarm water between 80 and 90 degrees
- 3 tablespoons unsalted, softened butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bread flour (Japanese bread flour or the finest bread flour available)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 1 teaspoon yeast (active dry or instant)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Place all ingredients except for the cheese into the pan of a bread maker machine. (Apparently it’s important to adhere to the order listed above.) When your machine signals it’s time for mix-ins, pour in 1 cup grated cheese. Bake the loaf at the white bread setting.
Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla has assembled this Mother's Day lineup for the Sunday Supper celebration at Twitter. Scroll down for your invite and many wonderful ways to say, "I love you" to that special lady in your life.Celebratory Sips
- Ginger Shandy by Nosh My Way
- La Vie en Rose by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Momma's Mimosa by Our Good Life
- Cheese Bread by Ninja Baker
- Classic Basil Pesto Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Fennel and Radish Citrus Salad by Tasting Page
- Healthy Ham Salad Minis by Momma's Meals
- Pate with Spiced Pears by The Joyful Foodie
- Pesto Pasta Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Super Sunny Dutch Oven Sourdough by What Smells So Good?
- Blackberry Almond Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by The Crumby Cupcake
- Broccoli Cheddar Frittata with Tomatoes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chicken and Pepper Rice with Fried Egg by Family Foodie
- Chicken Tajine with Prunes and Almonds by The Petit Gourmet
- Coriander Salmon with Capered Green Beans by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dutch Baby Pancake by Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs and Ramps in Puff Pastry by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mimosa Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mushroom Manchego Cream Filled Crepes by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Arugula Salad by Casa de Crews
- Smoked Salmon & Shaved Asparagus Gruyere Quiche with a Pine Nut Crust by Simply Healthy Family
- 5 Favorite Pancake Toppings by Sunday Supper
- Angel Food Cakes in a Jar by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Black Cow Cupcakes by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake by Noshing With The Nolands
- Bourbon Peach Frozen Yogurt by Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Cheesecake Pastry Braid by The Redhead Baker
- Crustless Creamy Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Deluxe Salted Caramel Turtle Sundae by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Blackberry Mini Tarts by Life Tastes Good
- Lemon Brownies by Pies and Plots
- Lower Fat Peach Cheesecake by Food Done Light
- Mini Chocolate Marshmallow Bombe Soufflé by Nik Snacks
- Mini Lemon Almond Cupcakes by Caroline's Cooking
- Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pavlova by The Freshman Cook
- Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Raspberry Mascarpone Mini Tarts by Palatable Pastime
- Rose Apple Custard Tart by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Soft-Baked Lemon Coconut Cookies by One Sweet Mess
- Steamed Strawberry Coconut Poke Cake by Wallflour Girl
- Sunshine Lemon Cake Pop Bouquet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Triple Chocolate Layer Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Wishing you a Happy Mother's Day.
The Ninja Baker
© ™ Watkinson 2012
The Ninja Baker has guest blogged and contributed recipes to numerous food sites. These additional recipes can be found here.