"Eat Your Greens!" From appetizers to desserts, everything emerald is the focus of tonight’s #SundaySupper on Twitter. (Please scroll down for details.) Foodie Stuntman of Crazy Foodie Stunts hosts. He is sure to sprinkle his humor and culinary savvy into the conversation.
Serendipitously my husband’s assistant (on the TV show Bones) requested that I make a flourless chocolate cake. I obliged. And covered the cake with Girl Scout Thin Mint based green frosting for today’s post.
Flourless (Gluten-Free!) Chocolate Cake with Thin Mint Frosting
What foods and/or drinks does the color green evoke for you? When I first saw this week’s #SundaySupper Eat Your Greens theme, my mind flew to...
Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream
& High quality matcha served at elegant Japanese tea ceremonies
& Soft Oreos filled with matcha cream!
I also thought about green dried seaweed (nori) which adds a sweet crunch to any bowl of sticky white rice. Shiso (perilla) which is featured in zillions of traditional Japanese dishes also crossed my mind. (For a list of 43 ways to enjoy the green leaf, visit Clotilde of Chocolate and Zucchini.)
Despite my fondness for the fabulous foods above, I am oh, so grateful that I made flourless chocolate cake covered with minty green frosting. The recipe I discovered on Epicurious.com is divinely decadent! Dark rich chocolate surfs onto the tongue and a wave of happiness follows.
The Ninja Baker's Thin Mint Frosting hugs deep rich chocolate cake.
The frosting, too, is a heavenly find. While scanning the dairy shelves at the supermarket, a miraculous little container labeled Girl Scouts Thin Mint Coffee Creamer appeared. Combined with white chocolate powder (readily available at The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf), a few drops of peppermint and food coloring, the creamer gives a kick to the green chocolate-minty frosting!
Waves of dark rich chocolate surf on the palate with this gluten-free, flourless cake. Adapted from Epicurious.com, my flourless chocolate cake includes a swirl of dark chocolate kisses and a splash of peppermint extract.
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate plus 7 Dark Chocolate Hershey’s Kisses
- Generous ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 large eggs
- Heaping ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Coat an 8-inch pan with baking spray and line with parchment paper.
Break up the chocolate pieces with a sharp knife. No need to cut the Kisses.
Melt the chocolate with the butter in a bowl set over simmering water (or in a double boiler.) Keep stirring. Remove from the stove as soon as the chocolate and butter are melted.
Whisk the sugar and peppermint into the chocolate, butter mixture.
One at a time, whisk in the eggs.
Sift the cocoa into the bowl and combine well.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until the surface of the cake is firm.
Cool the cake for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto a plate. Serve warm or cold.
(If frosting, make sure the cake is completely cooled.)
Are you a Girl Scouts Thin Mints Cookie fan? Yes? You will love the Ninja Baker's Thin Mint Frosting!
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
2½ cups white chocolate powder
(Available at The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf stores.)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract (more if you like a sharp mint flavor)
- 3 tablespoons Girl Scouts Thin Mints Coffee Creamer
- Drops of green food coloring
Beat cream cheese and butter together until fluffy. Pour in the chocolate powder, powdered sugar and meringue powder. Stir in the peppermint extract, coffee creamer and drops of green food coloring until well blended.
Here are a few more delightful greens for your dessert, entrée and appetizer courses.
Green Light Appetizers and Sides
- Espinacas con Crema (Creamed Spinach) from La Cocina de Leslie
- Steakhouse Style Creamed Spinach from It's Yummi!
- Oven-Fried Green Beans from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Irish Champ from girlichef
- Fresh Herb Tabouleh from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Moroccan Greens from Cooking On The Ranch
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Polenta Crust Creamed Spinach Tart from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes from MealDiva
- Spinach and Artichoke Squares from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Green Rice from Basic N Delicious
- Broccoli and Blue Cheese Tarts from Mess Makes Food
- Avocado Fries from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Spinach Cashew Pakoras with Tangy Date Sauce from Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potatoes from Webicurean
- Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes from Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Broccoli Spinach Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw from Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Asparagus-Fennel-Pea Shoot Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing from The Foodie Army Wife
- Creamy Chicken Pesto Salad from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Eggs and Greens Pizza from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Creamy Green Pizza from The Foodie Patootie
- Shamrock Spinach Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Healthy Green Pasta from Momma's Meals
- Swiss Chard & Sausage Pasta Bake from Delaware Girl Eats
- Smothered Cabbage with Pork from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Fettuccine with Bacon Alfredo from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Roasted Asparagus Eggs Benedict With Cajun Hollandaise from Having Fun Saving
- Indulgent Pesto Risotto from The Weekend Gourmet
- Twice Baked Turkey Pie with Cabbage from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Slow-Cooker Irish Stout Chicken Stew from FoodieTots
- Chicken and Asparagus Flatbread Pizza from Family Foodie
- Lemon Kiwi Meringue Pie from Desserts Required
- Mint Cookies and Stout Shake from Melanie Makes
- Verde Sangria from Country Girl in the Village
- Baileys Mint Ice Cream & Chocolate Stout Float from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shamrock Cookies from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Green Tea Latte from Manu's Menu
- Grasshopper Mousse from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Amazing Grass Brownies from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Leprechaun Ice Cream from Cookistry
- White Chocolate Cupcakes with Pistachio Pudding Frosting from Cookin' Mimi
- Collard Greens, Mushroom, and Cheddar Bread Pudding from The Texan New Yorker
- Coconut Avocado Ice Cream from URBAN BAKES
- Lime Meltaways from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Mint Cake from NinjaBaking.com
Wishing you emerald gems in your jewel box and on your plate.
The Ninja Baker
© ™ Watkinson 2012
The Ninja Baker has guest blogged and contributed recipes to numerous food sites. These additional recipes can be found here.