The Best Things in Life are Free...except chocolate and Hello Kitty!
Some things in life like chocolate and Hello Kitty are worth the price tag, don’t you think? Seriously, after a visit today to the Japanese American National Museum, I am in awe of how the universe rewards those who strive to bring goodness into our world. (Apak - Aaron and Ayumi Piland - by the way, are the inspired artists behind the above Inner Kitty.)
Shintaro Tsuji, the man responsible for the worldwide explosion of Hello Kitty, drew me to his photo with his kind smile. His expression was one of sweet contentment. (Of course, life would be wonderful as a billionaire!) Research revealed a man who has overcome spirit-breaking experiences. (Just a few examples: Tsuji-san lost his mother at age 10 to leukemia. Tsuji-san was bullied by his remaining relatives. He witnessed the suicide of his commanding officer upon Japan's surrender in 1945.) Instead of growing cynical and embittered, Shintaro Tsuji dedicated himself to delivering happiness and comfort.
Hello Kitty Transcendence by Martin Hsu
Taking my cue from the man who set out to make the world smile with Hello Kitty, I'm including crowd-pleasing chocolate in my 5-ingredients or less recipe challenge for tonight's Sunday Supper dessert. (Scroll down to see your invite to this weekly dinner party on Twitter.)
Chocolate cookies dancing with melted toffee bits .
My 5-Ingredients Chocolate Toffee Cookies are revolutionary wonders. The taste is distinctly homemade with love goodness...guaranteed to bring grins to friends and family. AND the compliments as well as the quick and easy recipe are sure to make you smile!
Last minute demands for a bake sale or school party cookies?
5-Ingredient Chocolate Toffee Cookies will reveal the true superhero you!
High-quality chocolate cake mix serves as the foundation. Espresso, coconut oil and toffee bits further enhance the cookies.
Small gifts like chocolate toffee cookies and Hello Kitty
do wonders to make any day special.
Soft chocolate cookies with melted bits of toffee crunch are deliciously delivered in this 5-Ingredient Chocolate Toffee Cookie recipe. This is a go-to recipe when presented with demands for last-minute cookies.
Yields 4 dozen cookies.
Adapted from a cookie recipe at SpoonUniversity.com.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup toffee bits
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon espresso
- Lightly whisk eggs in a large bowl. (One at a time so you can easily fetch out any egg shells.) Pour in the cake mix, coconut oil and espresso. Blend well with an electric mixer. Stir in the toffee bits.
- Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Scoop tablespoons of the dough onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes.
Tonight's Sunday Supper host is T.R. of Gluten Free Crumbley. Even if your diet does not require you to go gluten-free, T.R.'s recipes are definitely worth checking out! As are the recipes below contributed by stellar cooks and bakers from around the globe.
- 2 Ingredient Orange Juice Frosty Drink by The Educators' Spin On It
- Five Ingredient Sangria by Our Good Life
- Pina Colada Summer Smoothie by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
Appetizers and Snacks
- 5-Ingredient Creamy Avocado Dressing by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Crescent Jalapeno Poppers by The Weekend Gourmet
- Crockpot Chicken Chili Dip by The Crumby Cupcake
- Gluten Free Peach Salsa by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Zucchini and Goat Cheese Roll Ups by Food Done Light
- Marinated Feta Tomato Skewers by Noshing with the Nolands
- Roasted Chili-Lime Peanuts by Casa de Crews
- Strawberry Coconut Soup with Mint by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- 3 Ingredient Steak Marinade by MealDiva
- Baked Fajita Chicken by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Crab Pasta by Caroline's Cooking
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms by Palatable Pastime
- Healthy Chocolate Protein Pancakes by Momma's Meals
- Homemade Porcini Almond Pasta by The Joyful Foodie
- Abruzzo Style Cannellini Beans with Fennel & Chicken by Delaware Girl Eats
- Nutella BLT Sandwich by Brunch with Joy
- Salmon in Puff Pastry by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Simple Brined Roast Chicken with Herbs and Garlic by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Simple Grilled Tilapia by Cooking Chat
- Simple Summer Shrimp and Asparagus by eating in instead
- Skirt Steak and Grilled Potatoes for a Crowd by Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken by Nosh My Way
- Slowcooker Ravioli Lasagne by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Brazilian Black Beans by Curious Cuisiniere
- Korean Seasoned Dried Squid (Ojingeochae muchim) by kimchi MOM
- Mashed Cauliflower with Parmesan by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Sauerkraut and Apple Salad by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Sesame Lime Edamame by Magnolia Days
- Southern Style Squash Casserole by Recipe for Perfection
- Tomato, Avocado and Bacon Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Apple Drop Candy by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Toffee Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Coconut White Chocolate Truffles by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy No Churn Peach Frozen Yogurt by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Fluffernutter Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Magic Pudding Dessert by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- No-Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Rhubarb Crumble by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Creamy Coconut, Roasted Strawberry Chocolate Chip Popsicles by Simply Health Family
- Recipe Substitution Tips by Sunday Supper
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Wishing you chocolate, cuddly kitties and all the best things of life!
The Ninja Baker
© ™ Watkinson 2012
The Ninja Baker has guest blogged and contributed recipes to numerous food sites. These additional recipes can be found here.