Gluten-Free Carrot Cupcakes, #SundaySupper
Ready for Christmas in July? Sara Moulton’s Everyday Family Dinners cookbooks are being given away at this week’s #SundaySupper at Twitter. (Scroll down for details on how to win and join the chat around the virtual dinner table.) The celebrity chef is also giving away her cookbook Sara Moulton Cooks At Home on her site.
If you’ve followed Sara’s culinary adventures via her cookbooks or appearances on Good Morning America or public television (Sara’s Weeknight Meals), you are probably aware that her mentor was Julia Child. The late great culinary icon was of the opinion that "You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces -- just good food from fresh ingredients.” Julia Child’s influence is reflected in Sara Moulton recipes. (Fried Eggs with Crispy Kimchi Rice, Chicken Cassoulet, Garlicky Green Beans and Shitakes)
Isabel, the founder of #SundaySupper who is hosting this Twitter event has gathered her fellow food bloggers to contribute their favorite Sara Mouton recipes. (Scroll down to see the scrumptious offerings.) Isabel is also hosting the Food & Wine Conference in Orlando, Florida from July 20-21. The keynote speaker is Sara Moulton! Click here for conference details. (I’ll be there and would love to meet you!)
On Good Morning America, Sara Moulton declared that she was “dessert impaired.” Her modesty is admirable. But one glance at the “Don’t Skip Dessert” section of Sara Moulton’s Everyday Family Dinners and you too will only see evidence of an inspired baker.
As my husband has been hankering for sweets made without white sugar and wheat, I adapted my contribution of Sara Moulton’s Carrot Cupcakes for SundaySupper. The recipe that follows is adapted from Sara Moulton’s Everyday Family Dinners but is tailored for the gluten-free, agave-loving crowd.
Gluten-Free Carrot Cupcake
I am relieved and happy to report the result was sooo yummy. Packed with wholesome goodness and sweetness in every bite. My impromptu creation of cream cheese honey frosting complemented the cupcake, too.
Gluten-Free Carrot Cupcakes
Adapted from Sara Moulton’s Everyday Family Dinners
Yields: 8 Large Cupcakes
- 1 cup of coarsely grated carrots
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup agave
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/6 cup coconut oil
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons of seedless raisins
- 3 tablespoons of chopped walnuts
- Preheat an oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and spices.
- Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the remaining ingredients. Mix with a fork to thoroughly combine.
- Into a muffin tin lined with cupcake cases, divide the batter. Bake for 28 minutes.
Once the cupcakes are cool; with an electric mixer combine 8 ounces of whipped cream cheese, ¼ cup of soft butter and 4 tablespoons of honey. Place in the freezer for 5 to10 minutes. Place the contents into a piping bag fitted with a star tip and frost the cupcakes. Option: For those not allergic to white sugar, garnish with an additional fondant carrot.
Breakfast for Dinner:
- Open-faced Zucchini Omelet with Red Bell Pepper and Feta by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
- Chocolate French Toast with Fresh Strawberry Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Polenta Lasagne by Blueberries and Blessings
- Spicy Korean Cheesesteak by Kimchi MOM
- Chorizo Mushroom Bites by La Cocina de Leslie
- Roasted Ratatouille Crêpes with Goat Cheese by Healthy.Delicious.
- Grilled Chicken and Veggie Pizza by Runner’s Tales
- Clay Pot Vegetable Stew by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Reuben Pizza by Juanita’s Cocina
- Vegetarian Greek Stuffed Zucchini by The Messy Baker Blog
- Manchego, Fig and Bacon Flatbreads by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Kimchi Fried Rice by girlichef
- Gluten Free Mozzarella Pesto Pizza by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Peppery Broccoli with Feta Cheese and Angel Hair Pasta by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chicken Artichoke Piccata by Sustainable Dad
- Reuben Tortilla Pinwheels by Home Cooking Memories
- Deli Style Turkey Reuben Pizza by In The Kitchen with KP
- Grilled Mahi Mahi with Garlic Caper Sauce by Family Foodie
Spectacular Sides and Salads:
- Curried Peas and Black Beans by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Feta, Chickpeas, and Pita Croutons by Supper for a Steal
- A Summer Salad from Paris by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Caprese Salad with Avocado by Ruffles & Truffles
Don’t Skip Desserts and Drinks:
- Three-Ingredient Pluot Crisp by Shockingly Delicious
- Stuffed Strawberry Dessert by Growing Up Gabel
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut-Butter No Bake Cookies by Killer Bunnies
- Warm Chocolate Cheesecake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Turkish Pistachio and Apricot Bread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sparkling Watermelon Lemonade by The Urban Mrs.
- Blueberry Crepes by Basic N Delicious
- Nectarine Upside-Down Cake by Magnolia Days
- Cannoli Strawberries by Foxes Love Lemons
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Watermelon Basil Lemonade by Curious Cuisiniere
We are so excited for this event and want to share recipes from Sara Moulton's Everyday Family Dinners with all of you. Join the chat and follow the bloggers listed below. Selected bloggers will be giving away a copy of this must have cookbook. Follow Sara Moulton and her recipes on www.saramoulton.com | Facebook |Twitter
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
Wishing you quiet contentment with masterpieces of simplicity.
The Ninja Baker
© ™ Watkinson 2012
The Ninja Baker has guest blogged and contributed recipes to numerous food sites. These additional recipes can be found here.