I nibbled the Ninja Baker’s adaptation of a BabyCakes gluten-free donut. Deeeelicious! Whew! Substituting banana for applesauce along with a few other Ninja tweaks made for one scrumptious gluten-free donut. Dare I say it? I do believe my gluten-free donut was better than a regular cake donut! Added bonus: My gluten-free donuts are also vegan!
Simple but scrumptious, this gluten-free and vegan donut is a royal delight!
Today’s #SundaySupper chat at Twitter is all about recipes using beans. (Scroll down to see your invite to the virtual dinner table.) So, Erin McKenna’s BabyCakes gluten-free and vegan cake donut recipe, which requires garbanzo bean flour, fits the bill. To honor the beanirific #SundaySupper theme, I also added vanilla bean paste.
Dipping my gluten-free and vegan donuts into rose-colored candy melts, a few musings about the humble bean stirred…
Believing good would result from his handful of magic beans, Jack grew an enormous beanstalk and the courage to find comfort for his mother. A mere fairy tale character you say? Fair enough.
Organic sugar, bananas and flours only make goodies like gluten-free donuts even better!
But, do you know the true-life story of gluten-free, vegan BabyCakes owner and cookbook author, Erin McKenna? Just in case you’ve never heard of BabyCakes; the bakeshop to the stars is thriving in LA, NYC and Disney World. BabyCakes cookbooks featuring gluten-free and vegan desserts probably fly off Amazon shelves almost as often as their divine bakeshop desserts.
Once upon a time, the queen of gluten-free and vegan goodies, Erin McKenna, followed her heart and gave up a cushy job so she could create treats for kids with food allergies. Initially she struggled with a string of failed recipes. However, she persevered and did her homework. Erin studied Julia Child’s recipes and analyzed how best to create comparable gluten-free and vegan treats. The BabyCakes owner / author also dove deep inside for answers on how to make her heart’s dreams true.
“I’d meditate a lot and have a clear mind and would just kind of intuitively start throwing things in a bowl and take notes about how things would turn out. Over time I developed an understanding of the ingredients and how they worked and what they did in a recipe.” (Erin McKenna, She-ro of BabyCakes, HelloGiggles.com)
Cat's Meow Donut!
So, do you have a handful of magic bean ideas you’d like to see flourish? How about planting one this week?
Need a tad more encouragement?
"Though thy beginning was small, yet thy latter end should greatly increase." (King James Bible, Job 8:7)
Or ponder the humble beginnings of billionaire author JK Rowling who scribbled the start of the Harry Potter series on paper napkins!
A gluten-free donut magically poufs up deliciousness in the oven thanks to a BabyCakes recipe tweaked by the Ninja Baker. A simple blend of flours, a soupçon of leavening agents whisked in with bananas and vanilla bean will bring on a strong case of the happys. P.s. If a touch of anything banana bothers you, substitute applesauce.
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- ¾ cup garbanzo bean flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ¼ cup arrowroot
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (the liquid kind/canola oil works too)
- 6 tablespoons mashed up bananas
- ¼ cup vanilla bean paste
- ½ cup hot water
Whisk together the dry ingredients. (Sugar, flours, potato and corn starches, arrowroot, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and baking soda.)
Stir in the coconut oil, bananas, vanilla bean paste and hot water. Combine well.
Divide the batter amongst 12 wells of well-greased (with coconut oil) donut pans. Bake for 18 to 25 minutes in a 325-degree oven.
Dip cooled donuts into candy melts or melted chocolate. Or sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar or powdered sugar. Or just enjoy plain!
Tammi of Momma's Meals another inspirational She-Hero hosts today's beaniristic SundaySupper!
- Avocado Hummus by Our Good Life
- Bean Ragoût and Crisped Mushrooms by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Black Bean Chili Nachos by Brunch with Joy
- Chickpea Fries (Panisse) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Five Layer Greek Hummus Dip by Food Done Light
- Pizza Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- White Bean and Basil Spread by Peaceful Cooking
Bean-a-rific Soups and Stews:
- Butternut Squash White Bean Soup by Magnolia Days
- Chickpea and Bean Soup by Momma's Meals
- Classic Cassoulet by Food Lust People Love
- Navy Bean & Kale Soup by An Appealing Plan
- Navy Bean Soup by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Pork and Bean Stew by Nosh My Way
- Kielbasa and White Bean Soup by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spicy Sausage, White Bean and Spinach Soup by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Bean and Cornbread Salad by MealDiva
- Clams with Black Beans by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gold Rush Baked Beans by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Maple Brown Sugar Baked Beans by Carrie's Experimental Kitchen
- Pinto Beans With Cornbread Croutons by Nik Snacks
- Whiskey Bacon Baked Beans by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Incredi-bean Main Meals:
- Arugula Tomato and Beans Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Bean and Bacon Tacos by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Beefy Lima Bean Casserole by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Colombian Red beans - Frisoles Antioquenos by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Beans and Greens by Simply Healthy Family
- Honey-Lime Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos by The Chunky Chef
- One Pot Tuscan Style Garlic Herb Pork Chops by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Orecchiette with White Beans and Swiss Chard by Delaware Girl Eats
- Skillet Black Beans and Pork by Cooking Chat
- Ultimate Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Pancake Warriors
- White Bean Ragout, Frisèe, and a Fried Egg by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Amaze-beans Sweet Endings:
- Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean Bark by Love and Confections
- Flourless Almond Joy Cookie Dough Ball by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Flourless Mocha Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies by Wallflour Girl
- Gluten-Free Donuts by NinjaBaker
- Pecan Praline Black Bean Brownies by Rhubarb and Honey
- Soy Awesome Cookies 2.0 by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coco-Cacao Bean Smoothie by Dandelion Greens
- Sweet Bean Pie by Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee by Noshing With The Nolands
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Wishing you a handful of magic beans which flourish beyond your wildest imagination!
The Ninja Baker
© ™ Watkinson 2012
The Ninja Baker has guest blogged and contributed recipes to numerous food sites. These additional recipes can be found here.