Lemon Roll Cake, #SundaySupper
Spring ushers in showers, flowers and a slew of goddesses who bring renewal to the world. Persephone (of Greek mythology fame) returns from her underground romps with Pluto and the earth blooms again in 3-D color. In China, the goddess Ma-Ku brings healing and reigns over springtime rites. And the Japanese goddess, Yaya-Zakurai insists on purity/chastity whilst the cherry blossoms are in bloom. (After the petals fall…well, that’s another story.)
Kamakura's Hasedera Temple sings springtime!
For those of us who are domestic goddesses, closets are cleaned out and windows are flung open to welcome in a new season. Along with the physical cleaning, many of us allow cobwebs of old thinking to be cleared from our minds.
This Ninja Baker reads blogs like Crazy for Crust and is convinced by the talented baker/writer, Dorothy Kern, that it is time to throw out any fears surrounding cream roll cake-making. And eagerly announce, “Yes! I’ll contribute a lemon roll cake for the 7 p.m. ET #SundaySupper on 17 March at Twitter.com.”
Proof of the Ninja Baker's Virgin Voyage into the Land of Cream Rolls
Dorothy reports that her first time roll cake produced no cracks and was super-easy. My experience was not exactly identical. Perhaps the following tips will produce a stellar situation in your kitchen.
A. Pour a thin layer of batter into the jellyroll pan, so that your cake isn't so thick that you need to saw it in half like yours truly
B. Mixing in jam or chocolate into the whipped cream filling so rolling the cake up proceeds smoothly.
C. And, by all means, visit Crazy for Crust and read up on Dorothy's tips for roll
Alice Choi, the Hip Foodie Mom, remedied my grievous cake cracks. She recently posted a gorgeous recipe for mini bundts with white chocolate ganache. Thanks to Alice’s ganache recipe, I was able to cover the cracks of my cakes and the cream rolls are presentable.
Lemon Cake Rolls with White Chocolate Ganache
Lemon Cake Roll:
Bake up a lemon cake (using a cake mix or your favorite recipe) in a jellyroll pan. Make sure the pan is lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Spraying the paper or foil with baking spray helps, too. I’ve got a small gas oven so my smallish jellyroll pan took about 26 minutes to bake at 350 degrees. (It will take less time when the batter is thinner!)
Until lovely soft peaks appear, whip up 8 ounces of heavy cream with ¼ cup of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon lemon zest and ¾ teaspoon of powdered lemon peel.
On a cooled rectangle of cake, carefully spread the cream. As mentioned 3 tablespoons of strawberry jam seemed to help the process.
Cautiously roll the cake in a heavily powder sugar sprinkled wax paper or towel.
Make the Hip Foodie Mom’s White Chocolate Ganache. The recipe is here. Pipe the ganache onto the cake or liberally slather. Whichever way the spirits of spring move you.
As appealing springtime flowers bloom, a feeling of hope appears that in the future, my cake rolls will be even nicer.
In the meantime, please enjoy the following recipes celebrating the season and St. Patrick's Day by the best of the food blogosphere. Mama’s Blissful Bites is hosting the #SundaySupper Twitter party so prepare for bliss!
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp and Leek Quiche by Gourmet Drizzles
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Asparagus and Spring Onion Frittatta by Country Girl in the Village
- Savory Crepes with Prawns, Broccoli and Hollandaise Sauce by Masala Herb
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus and Artichokes by The Whimpy Vegetarian
Apps, Bread, Salads, Soups and Dressings:
- Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread by The Meltaways
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Spinach Bacon Salad by In The Kitchen with Audrey
- Anchovy and Egg Salad by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- White Asparagus & Salmon Spring Salad by Family Foodie
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
Main and Sides:
- Pea Shoot Risotto by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Gruyère and Hazelnuts by Hip Foodie Mom
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles by Diabetic Foodie
- Caramelized Grapes and Brie Whole Wheat Galette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Key Lime Cheesecake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Key Lime Cream Cheese Empanadas by La Cocina de Leslie
- Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Gluten Free Carrot Cookies by Simply Gourmet
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Roll Cake by The Ninja Baker
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Candied Flowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Chocolate Pudding with Irish Cream by Buffy and George
- Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Guinness Beer Milkshake by The Urban Mrs
- Wines to Pair with Springtime #SundaySupper Dishes by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Irish Spring Tea Party by My Cute Bride
- Fizzy Citrus Cocktails by The Messy Baker
Wishing you Emily Dickinson’s springtime
Hope (which) is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul, ?
And sings the tune--without the words, ?
And never stops at all.
The Ninja Baker
© ™ Watkinson 2012
The Ninja Baker has guest blogged and contributed recipes to numerous food sites. These additional recipes can be found here.