Classic American cherry pie takes a tasty gluten-free twist...with a touch of chocolate!
Adapted from The Artful Parent.
- 3 cans (14.5 ozs) pitted unsweetened cherries (*Save the juice from one of the cans.)
- 1¼ cups sugar OR ½ cup + 2 tablespoons organic sugar/stevia blend
- 4 heaping tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- ½ powdered lemon zest
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups of gluten-free (powdered) chocolate chip cookie mix
- 3 cups of gluten-free chocolate cookies
- In a sturdy saucepan, mix the cherries plus the liquid from one can with sugar, cornstarch, salt, vanilla bean paste and powdered lemon zest. Keep stirring the filling over a medium-low flame and allow a slow bubbly boil. (About 10 minutes.) The filling will thicken and look slightly jellied. Take the saucepan off the stove. Let the mixture cool.
- Melt the butter (1 minute in the microwave.) Pour the gluten-free chocolate chip cookie mix, the gluten-free chocolate cookies and the butter into a food processor. Pulse until well combined.
- Press the mixture into cupcake cases. (½ tablespoon for minis, 1 tablespoon for regular sized cupcake cases.) The extra cookie mixture will serve as crumble for the gluten-free chocolate cherry pie minis.
- Scoop the cherry filling into the cupcake cases. (½ tablespoon for minis, 2 tablespoons for regular sized cupcake cases.) Sprinkle the mini pies with the leftover cookie mixture.
- Bake in a 425° oven. 5-6 minutes for the mini gluten-free chocolate cherry pies. 7-8 minutes for the regular-sized cupcake cases.