Visit Japan and you’ll see symphonies of artistic sweets. The eye follows an unbroken rhythm of desserts composed into perfect rows. Each piece influenced by the natural beauty of the season. In springtime, both traditional Japanese sweets shops and Parisian-inspired patisseries celebrate cherry blossoms.
Perfect accompaniments for cherry blossom gazing:
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Pie Minis
To revel in the warm March winds blowing spring our way, I decided to make Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Pie Minis. I’ve baked cherry blossom cookies and cherry chip blossom cupcakes. But I’ve never made a cherry pie. Plus it’s one of my gluten-sensitive husband’s favorite pies. So, I created a Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Pie. Motivation to make the pies minis came from translating for fashionistas from Japan the other day. As I assisted the talented young ladies navigate an American restaurant menu, I was reminded how petite and pretty are priorities when plating food.
Blissful bites of cherry mingle with chocolate chip cookies.
The cherry pie filling was made with a blend of (zero-calorie) Stevia and organic sugar. I was curious and crossing my fingers about the chemistry of the sometimes bitter Stevia / organic sugar blend with the cherries. The worry was wasted. The cherry pie filling is a luscious duo of cherries accented with a touch of sweet.
Sweeten any bento box with Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Mini Pies.
The gluten-free crust and crumble, while delicious, could’ve been more scrumptious. A slightly more expensive box of gluten-free chocolate cookies might have remedied the situation. You know how the experts always say to use quality products? It’s true. I simply should’ve sprung a few extra dollars and picked up a box of gluten-free chocolate cookies I know are sublime. At any rate, the mini pies are perfect for pass-around treats at parties; small pick-me-up snacks and a solution to satisfy a hankering for bites of cherry pie bliss.
Doll-size gluten-free chocolate cherry pies.
Classic American cherry pie takes a tasty gluten-free twist...with a touch of chocolate!
Adapted from The Artful Parent.
- 3 cans (14.5 ozs) pitted unsweetened cherries (*Save the juice from one of the cans.)
- 1¼ cups sugar OR ½ cup + 2 tablespoons organic sugar/stevia blend
- 4 heaping tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- ½ powdered lemon zest
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups of gluten-free (powdered) chocolate chip cookie mix
- 3 cups of gluten-free chocolate cookies
- In a sturdy saucepan, mix the cherries plus the liquid from one can with sugar, cornstarch, salt, vanilla bean paste and powdered lemon zest. Keep stirring the filling over a medium-low flame and allow a slow bubbly boil. (About 10 minutes.) The filling will thicken and look slightly jellied. Take the saucepan off the stove. Let the mixture cool.
- Melt the butter (1 minute in the microwave.) Pour the gluten-free chocolate chip cookie mix, the gluten-free chocolate cookies and the butter into a food processor. Pulse until well combined.
- Press the mixture into cupcake cases. (½ tablespoon for minis, 1 tablespoon for regular sized cupcake cases.) The extra cookie mixture will serve as crumble for the gluten-free chocolate cherry pie minis.
- Scoop the cherry filling into the cupcake cases. (½ tablespoon for minis, 2 tablespoons for regular sized cupcake cases.) Sprinkle the mini pies with the leftover cookie mixture.
- Bake in a 425° oven. 5-6 minutes for the mini gluten-free chocolate cherry pies. 7-8 minutes for the regular-sized cupcake cases.
A few more scrumptious pie recipes...
Sweet As Pie
- Apple Browned Butter Tart by The Chef Next Door
- Banana Cream Pie from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Blood Orange Pie from The TipToe Fairy
- Brown Sugar Pie from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cherry Chocolate Brownie Pie from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Pudding Pie from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Coconut Cream Pie from Family Foodie
- Easy Lemon Pie from Basic N Delicious
- Fresh Lemon Hand Pies from From Gate to Plate
- German Sweet Chocolate Cream Pie from Meal Planning Magic
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Pie from NinjaBaker
- Gluten Free Mini Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Pies from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grapefruit Pie from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Oatmeal Creme Pies from Pies and Plots
- Irish Cream Coffee Mud Pie from The Crumby Cupcake
- Leaf Topped Apple Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Magic Cookie Bar Pie from Moore or Less Cooking
- Mixed Berry Hand Pies from My Imperfect Kitchen
- No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Pie from Feeding Big and More
- No Bake Blueberry Mini Filo-Pies from Hardly A Goddess
- No-Bake Mixed Berry Cream Cheese Tart from Magnolia Days
- Orange Meringue Pie from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Paifala (Samoan Pineapple Half Moon Pies) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie from Sweet Mornings
- Perfect Manhattan Pie from The Texan New Yorker
- Pineapple Meringue Pie from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Quick Swiss Apple Pie from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Raspberry Cheesecake Pudding Pie from Flour On My Face
- Strawberry Mascarpone Tart from Taste And See
- Beef & Red Wine Pie from Wholistic Woman
- Cauliflower Cheese Pie with Grated Potato Crust from Food Lust People Love
- Chard and Parsnip Galette from Caroline’s Cooking
- Chicken Tamale Pie from Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Cornish Pasties from Palatable Pastime
- Homity Pie (British Potato Leek Pie) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Cheesy Artichoke and Asparagus Phyllo Pie from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Italian Hand Pies from Brunch-n-Bites
- Irish Shepherd's Pie from The Freshman Cook
- Jamaican “No-Beef” Patties from What Smells So Good?
- Mini Swiss Quiches from Family Around The Table
- Mushroom Swiss Quiche from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Pizza Rustica from Monica’s Table
- Salmon Pot Pie from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Savory and Spicy Mincemeat Pie from eating in instead
- Shepherd’s Pie Hand Pies from Our Good Life
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie from Life Tastes Good
- Spaghetti Pie from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spicy Korean Cottage Pie from kimchi MOM
- Taco Hand Pies from Kitchen Gidget
- Weeknight Chicken Pot Pie from Books n' Cooks
- Plus: Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Wishing you warm, springtime winds of sweetness.
The Ninja Baker
© ™ Watkinson 2012
The Ninja Baker has guest blogged and contributed recipes to numerous food sites. These additional recipes can be found here.