Lurking in the shadows of many a backstreet are shady business deals. However, in the alleyway known as Ganso Ramen Yokocho in Sapporo, Japan, priceless ramen noodle experiences await you. (Sapporo is the capital of Hokkaido - Japan’s northernmost island.) Taunting you will be a row of ramen noodle houses. Each one decidedly delicious with a long history (many since 1951) of serving up unforgettable slurps of skinny ramen noodles.
The famed Sapporo miso ramen is now mass produced, packaged and enjoyed!
What distinguishes the Sapporo ramen is the miso soup broth (Tokyo prefers a soy sauce based soup. On the southern island of Kyushu, ramen is prepared in vats of pork belly broth.) As Hokkaido is the uncontested dairy queen of Japan, their famous butter is also added to ramen. (The northern island also boasts fantastic corn, potatoes and seafood.)
The Ninja Baker's Ramen Stir Fry
Inspired by the ramen chefs of Northern Japan, I stir fried noodles in miso, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sake wine. Soup was not added. If you are familiar with Japanese cuisine, you’d be quite correct to compare my ramen stir fry to yakisoba. Although yakisoba is made with Chinese egg noodles and usually fried in oil on a greasy iron top. Ramen on the other hand are made mostly with wheat noodles. In addition, my ramen stir fry sizzles with kisses of high quality butter and miso.
Ramen Stir Fry offers a melody of buttery noodles with a smooth undertone of miso. Savory fans of garlic and salt should use the higher measurements of soy sauce and garlic.
In Japan, it’s a compliment to the chef to slurp noodles. So, if you catch your family or friends slurping the ramen stir fry, you know you are a ramen noodle maestro!
- Fistful of green beans (approximately 20 beans)
- 2 sliced shiitake mushrooms or ¼ - ½ cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 3.5 package of dried ramen noodles
- 2½ tablespoons miso paste (if available, awase miso)
- 1 – 1½ teaspoons chopped garlic
- ½ - ¾ teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 3½ tablespoons butter
- ½ - 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sake rice wine
- ¼ cup corn kernels
- 1 chopped scallion
- Parboil (lightly boil) green beans and mushrooms. Drain.
- Boil ramen noodles (without the package soup) for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in 1½ tablespoons of butter. Drain. Set aside.
- Melt 1½ tablespoons of butter in a wok or deep large saucepan over low-medium heat.
- Swirl in miso, garlic and ginger.
- Pour in soy sauce and sake.
- Stir vigorously. Make sure all miso bits are dissolved.
- Add the noodles to the wok mixture, making sure all the noodles are coated with the miso mixture.
- Gently slide then ramen into a bowl. Garnish with the green beans, mushrooms, corn and scallions.
Tip: Add extra-firm tofu for a protein packed garnish.
Today's #SundaySupper chat at Twitter is all about meatless meals. Tammi, the talented mommy and magical MommasMeals maker will host. (Love to have you join us! Please scroll down for info.) My meatless ramen stir fry was inspired by the Japanese ramen chefs of Hokkaido. Here are a few more inspired recipes.
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- "Beef" Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa "Meatballs" by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean "Meatballs" with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli, Mushroom, and Rice Casserole by Momma's Meals
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu's Menu
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin' Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida's Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni's Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
A meatless ramen stir fry #SundaySupper
Wishing you priceless experiences which bring on the smiles!
The Ninja Baker
© ™ Watkinson 2012
The Ninja Baker has guest blogged and contributed recipes to numerous food sites. These additional recipes can be found here.