Time to lighten up! A decree to serve lighter fare at the virtual #SundaySupper table was issued. (Your invite to the Twitter chitter-chatter is below.)Before the onslaught of gobble, gobble (US Thanksgiving) goodies; before the deluge of Christmas and Chanukah desserts, this time of year warrants a sweet that offers delight but saves a few calories. Inspired by the many Japanese cheesecakes that call for tofu, I created my Skinny Ninja Cheesecake. (I'm the Ninja Baker but I also wanted to give a nod to the popular Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Maybe I'll master the likeness in another post.)
Lemon peel pulsed into low-fat vanilla wafers create a yummy crust
for lovely Japanese yuzu citrus infused cheesecake.
Specifically this recipe is a riff on a how-to from the Morinaga Tofu site. To lighten the tofu-based cheesecake, I substituted Greek yogurt for sour cream and reduced the condensed milk content. A dash or two of Japanese citrus juice was also added. The result? A lovely cheesecake with a lilt of citrus. I won’t lie. My Skinny Ninja Cheesecake is not as rich as a cream-laden cheesecake from a New York City deli. But it's pretty darn close!
Tofu sprinkled with a little sweetener and a dash of Japanese yuzu citrus
whips up one luscious cheesecake.
Plus, my Ninja turtle toppings of low-fat cookies and mini chocolates will please the palates of sweets lovers. I’m a firm believer in a bite or two of real chocolate versus massive portions of (cancer, birth-defects, and epilepsy-linked) aspartame stuffed substitutes. (Even though established corporations endorse aspartame as safe, other educated resources contradict their statements.) Many gifted Reiki healers refuse to work on clients who consume aspartame because the treatment will not take. (An 1800s Japanese Buddhist monk, Dr.Mikao Usui, was asked by a student about Jesus' healing powers. He set out to find the answer. Dr. Usui's findings are embedded in the natural healing art of Reiki.)
With or without a chocolate turtle,
Skinny Ninja Cheesecake skimps on calories but delivers on flavor!
Stevia, Truvia and Splenda are my go-to for zero-calorie substitutes. Speaking of substitutes, you can still enjoy the Skinny Ninja Cheesecake without the sneaky chocolate treats: Substitute fresh fruit or reduced calorie jams (sans aspartame!) The Skinny Ninja Cheesecake is one very delightful way to avoid skimping on dessert and still enjoy your holiday feasts guilt-free.
Light and luscious, both filling and crust are studded with citrus accents. Skinny ninja cheesecake will stave off cravings for more decadent versions of the dessert.
Inspired by the Morinaga Tofu Cheesecake recipe.
For the crust:
- ½ box (6 ounces) low-fat vanilla wafer
- 7 tablespoons coconut oil + additional coconut oil for greasing the pan
- 1 teaspoon minced lemon peel
For the filling:
- 1 package (12 ounces) of soft tofu
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons Japanese yuzu citrus juice (or lemon juice)
- 1 package (8 ounces) 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ¼ cup coconut flour
For the optional turtles garnish:
- Low-fat chocolate cookies
- Eye candies
- Mini Reese’s Cups
- Mini Tootsie Rolls
- M & Ms
Lightly grease a 10” springform pan with coconut oil.
Pulse the vanilla wafers with coconut oil and lemon peel in the food processor.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
Blend the tofu, 2 tablespoons water and 2 tablespoons yuzu or lemon juice in a clean food processor. (Lucky you if you have two food processors!)
Add in the cream cheese and yogurt.
When the mixture is smooth, slowly add the egg yolks, condensed milk, the remaining yuzu or lemon juice, vanilla, corn starch and coconut flour.
Pour the batter into the crust.
Bake in a 350 degrees oven for 44 minutes.
Allow to cool for one hour. Place in the refrigerator over night.
More scrumptiousness on the light side assembled by oh-so talented Sunday Supper host and trained Chef Kathia of Basic ‘N Delicious.
- Lightened Up Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
- Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie Malted Milkshake by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Appetizer or starter
- Gruyere Cheese Puffs by Sustainable Dad
- Lighten-up Sausage Rolls by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Spaghetti Squash, Pears and Kale with Shrimp by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Lightened Up Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Spicy Eggplant Dip by Cooking Chat
- Carciofi alla Trapanese by Manu's Menu
- Fresh Salmon Carpaccio by Food Lust People Love
- Holiday Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes and Corn by Family Foodie
- Mini Mushroom Shepherd’s Pies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Grandma's Mac n' Cheese by What Smells So Good?
- Lean Mean Cheeseburger Soup by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Chicken Sausage Soup by Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Lightened-Up Fettuccine Alfredo by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Brunch with Joy
- Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Hearts of Palm, Artichoke, Avocado and Butter Lettuce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potato by The Educators' Spin On It
- Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Almond-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli by The Texan New Yorker
- Tangy, Spiced Red Cabbage by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots by Ruffles & Truffles
- Shrimp Salad with White Wine Vinaigrette by eating in instead
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Green Beans with Rosemary Garlic Butter by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Leaner Green Beans by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Tri-Colored Carrot Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Horiatki Salata by Peaceful Cooking
- Healthier Potluck Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Farro Stuffing with Cranberries and Walnuts by The Dinner-Mom
- Roasted Parsnip and Apple Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sweet Apple Bites by Mama's Blissful Bites
- Individual Cheesecakes by Nosh My Way
- Light and Luscious Chocolate Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Peanut Butter Coconut Mini Bars by Basic N Delicious
- The Blondie Recipe by Wallflour Girl
- Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Skinny Ninja Cheesecake by NinjaBaker.com
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pumpkin Blondie by Sue's Nutrition Buzz
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Wishing you the joys of living on the lighter side of life.
The Ninja Baker
© ™ Watkinson 2012
The Ninja Baker has guest blogged and contributed recipes to numerous food sites. These additional recipes can be found here.
Follow Ninja Baker @NinjaBaking's board NinjaBaking.com Sweets on Pinterest.