Fudgy goodness popping with peppermint and topped with candy cane kisses.
The cookies are inspired by Bakerella's Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookies.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- ½ cup softened butter
- 1½ sugar
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup York peppermint pieces
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 24 Hershey’s candy cane kisses
Whisk the flour, cocoa, soda, salt and espresso powder together in one bowl.
With the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer.
Drop the eggs in one at a time. Mix in the vanilla.
Slowly pour in the flour blend to the butter / eggs / sugar bowl.
Gently incorporate the York peppermint pieces and chocolate chips into the mix.
Refrigerate the dough for half an hour.
Roll the cooled dough into mini balls. (I used a mini ice cream scooper.)
Bake on parchment lined cookie sheets at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
As soon as the cookies emerge from the oven, press an unwrapped Hershey candy cane kiss in the center of each one. If possible, cool before eating.