Gluten-Free Protein Bars
8 ingredients, 8 easy steps result in heart healthy gluten-free protein bars. Thank you Michael Symon! (Yes, the Michael Symon from The Chew and Iron Chef.) This recipe is adapted from Michael Symon's 5 in 5 cookbook.
- 1 generous cup of pitted dates
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- 1¼ cups old-fashioned style uncooked oats
- ¼ cup craisins
- Pinch of salt
- 1 generous cup of peanut butter or almond butter
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Nestle wax paper into an 8 inch square pan.
- Pulse the dates in a food processor until a ball forms. (The dried fruits help to glue and bind the other ingredients.) Remove the dates from the processor and into a large bowl.
- Pour the nuts into the food processor and pulse. Or chop the almonds by hand.
- Add the nuts, the oats, craisins and salt to the dates. Mix well.
- Microwave the peanut or almond butter with the honey for 45 seconds on high power. Stir. If still not completely melted, microwave for another 15 seconds. Stir again.
- Whisk in the vanilla. Drizzle over the dates/oats mixture. Combine well with a sturdy spoon or your clean hands.
- Press the mixture firmly into the pan. Freeze for 10 minutes. Cut into squares.
- Yields 18 bars. Keeps best in the freezer. Take out the bars about 2 hours before serving.