Lavender Ice Cream
Lavender calms the nerves…Ice cream infused with lavender and honey is the perfect dessert for a DYI spa day.
This recipe is adapted from Epicurious.com.
The lavender oil is not necessary to create this divine dessert. However, if interested in obtaining lavender oil, click here.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons dried edible lavender flowers
- (Penzeys carries this perennial)
- 2 (maximum 3) drops of lavender oil
- Sprinkles of lilac candy coloring
- 2 large eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Stirring often, bring the cream, half-and-half, honey, dried lavender, drops of lilac candy coloring and lavender oil to a boil. Keep a medium flame / heat under the saucepan.
- Remove the pan from the stove. Cover with a lid and steep for 30 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve into a bowl. Toss the lavender remnants.
- Into a clean saucepan, heat the strained mixture over medium heat. Turn off the heat while you whisk together the eggs and salt in a large clean bowl.
- Next, briskly stir in 1 cup of the hot mixture. Pour the contents of the large bowl into the saucepan. Turn on a moderate-low flame under the saucepan. Keep whisking for about 5 minutes or until a candy thermometer registers 170° to 175° (Another trick: Stir with a wooden spoon. Turn off the heat once the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.)
- Once again, strain the contents of the saucepan through a sieve into a bowl. Cover the mixture with plastic. Freeze overnight.
- Take the bowl out of the freezer about 20 minutes before churning per the instructions of your ice cream maker.
- Transfer the lovely lavender ice cream to a Tupperware (or similar) bowl and store in the freezer….Unless family and friends dive in first!