Oreo Taco Cookies is DYI cookie crafting fun in the kitchen. Ideal for those with kidlets. Oreo Taco Cookies are also a confidence booster for those of us who draw stick figures and /or are not naturally craft inclined.
As the primary ingredients of this “recipe” are Oreos, chocolate and matcha, the results are scrumptious. A crisp golden Oreo taco shell embraces chocolate Oreo frosted “meat.” The matcha tea flavored coconut adds a lovely contrast.
Inspired by an EricaSweetTooth recipe
- Golden Oreo Cookies, 1 package (36 cookies)
- Chocolate Oreo Cookies, 12 cookies (1 row)
- 1/3 cup Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- ½ cup Yellow Candy Melts
- ½ cup Angel Coconut Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Matcha (Japanese Green Tea Powder)
- 3 Japanese Yellow or Orange Hi-Chew OR 3 Yellow or Orange Starburst Candies
- 50 Red M & Ms (Less if you don’t have any hooligans wanting to sneak a chocolate or 2)
- Separate the Golden Oreo Cookies. Scrape off the yummy fillings. (Set aside for a snack OR Discard so you won’t be tempted!) With a sharp knife cut the cookies right above the “Oreo” middle. Many cookies may break but you should find you have enough to make taco cookie shells.
- Pulverize the Chocolate Oreo Cookies in a mini food processor. Stir in the cream cheese frosting and tablespoon of cocoa powder.
- Microwave the yellow candy melts at 50% power for 30 seconds. Then, another 30 if not completely melted. Stir. Paint the bottom edges of each of the Oreo halves with the melted candy. Place on waxed paper to set.
- Whisk together the matcha powder and coconut flakes.
- Cut the Hi-Chew or Starbursts into bits to resemble cheese.
- Scoop about a teaspoon or less into the Oreo taco shells. Sprinkle with Japanese matcha coated coconut flakes. Top with Hi-Chew or Starburst strips which resemble cheese. Garnish with a tomato red M & M.
- Pop into your mouth to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, Japanese Children’s Day or Hey, It’s Monday!