Japanese Turkey Rice Balls (Onigiri)
Holidays are made happier with cheery voices of children. Of course, channeling the (sometimes sugar-charged) energy of little ones can be a challenge. Here's a kid-friendly project which will yield yummy and healthy results.
- Japanese short-grain rice
- Tofu, turkey or hot dogs; cooked and chopped
- (You’ll need the circular ends of the “dogs” for turkey faces.)
- Seaweed (nori) and/or rice paper
- Black sesame seeds
- Small dried cranberries cut in half
- Prepare Japanese sticky short-grain rice per package and rice cooker instructions.
- Scoop ice cream size balls out of the cooker with plastic wrap.
- Nestle nori seaweed or paper rice around the rice balls.
- Place a tofu or turkey dog head atop each onigiri rice ball.
- Arrange Pretz sticks (cut in half) in a fan shape to create Thanksgiving turkey feathers.
- Sesame seeds and cranberry “glued” on with honey complete the Thanksgiving Pretz turkey.