Miso Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
A crispy buttery cookie with melted chocolate meets the lips and is followed with a smile. Miso may be the new “sea salted” accent to chocolate and caramel.
This Bon Appetit Magazine inspired recipe yields approximately 67 cookies.
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 10 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup smooth almond butter
- ¼ cup miso (I recommend white miso which is the sweetest mildest variety of miso.)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups dark chocolate chips
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat to 350°.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; stir regularly, watch for foam and then a light brown hue. (5 to 6 minutes) Transfer to a large bowl and let cool 5 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar. Add the egg and mix until smooth. Spoon in the almond butter, miso, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Pour in the flour and baking soda.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Let the dough rest 10 minutes.
- Scoop 1-tablespoonful of dough and roll into a balls. Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Arrange on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 2" apart. Dipping a small fork in water, make hashtag patterns on the cookies.
- Sprinkle with Demerara sugar.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes or until the edges are brown and firm. Rotate the cookie sheets halfway through the bake.
- Cool for a few minutes and bon appetit!