Slow Cooker Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
This lemony cake is "baked" in the slow cooker is definitely a dessert. But, not too sweet so it qualifies for legal breakfast and snack fare!
The recipe is inspired by Betty Crocker.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal (not corn flour)
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons sweetened coconut flakes
- 3½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1½ tablespoons minced lemon peel (more if you like a big pucker)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 (8 ounce) containers of cream cheese, optional
- 3½ tablespoons of honey, optional
- Coat an oval 6-quart slow cooker with baking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Spray again.
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, coconut flour, coconut flakes, baking powder, soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, vigorously stir the butter, sugar, eggs, milk, lemon juice, extract and peel. Slowly add in the flour mixture.
- When well combined, pour the batter into the prepared slow cooker.
- “Bake” for 2 hours on the High setting. When a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, switch off the slow cooker.