Valentine Fairy Cookies
Nancy Lippisch's recipe for fairy cookies is a family treasure. This Ninja Baker is grateful for Nancy's permission to reprint her recipe here.
Fairy Cookie Mix:
- 2 1/3 cups Crisco (vegetable shortening)
- 5 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups fairy cookie mix
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon soda
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Fairy Cookie Topping Options:
- Sugar, Cinnamon, Frosting
To make fairy cookie mix:
Cut Crisco into the flour and salt until the mixture is crumbly and resembles a bowl of sweet peas. Store in a sealed container until ready to use.
To bake the cookies:
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine 2 cups fairy cookie mix with sugar and baking soda. Add the egg and teaspoon of vanilla. Blend well.
- Shape into small balls.
- Roll in a mixture of colored sanding sugar OR equal parts sugar and cinnamon.
- Flatten with a glass bottom. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 375 degrees.
- When cooled, pipe pink frosting hearts onto the cookies if desired.
Note: The dough is sticky. Plastic gloves come in handy.