California oranges and yogurt contribute moisture (and nutrition!) to a cake mix. The sparkling Paradise Candied Orange Peels sprinkled on top of the cream cheese frosting add Hollywood star power.
1 Box Yellow Cake Mix (I prefer Duncan Hines)
3 large eggs, lightly whisked with a fork or chopsticks
3 large fresh oranges
1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1/3 cup coconut oil
Coconut oil cooking spray
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 container Paradise Candied Orange Peel
1. Line a 13 x 9 pan with parchment paper. Spray with coconut oil cooking spray.
2. Zest 1 orange. Set aside.
3. Peel all the oranges and place the fresh fruit into a blender with the 1 cup of yogurt. (Yes, you are making a smoothie!)
4. Blend well. Pour 1 cup of the orange smoothie. Set aside. (The rest of the smoothie is yours to enjoy…with a few Paradise Candied Orange Peels as topping.)
5. In a large kitchen stand mixer bowl, empty the contents of the cake mix. Sprinkle in the orange zest. Add the eggs, coconut oil and 1 cup of orange smoothie.
6. Mix well. (Start on slow so the contents of the bowl do not take flight.) In a stand mixer, allow about 2 minutes on medium speed. If mixing with a handheld mixer approximately 5 minutes. (One of the secrets to lovely cakes is avoiding overmixing. You do however want a smooth batter.)
7. Pour the batter into the prepared 13x9 pan.
8. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for approximately 28 minutes. Turn the pan mid-bake. (Adjust baking times accordingly. Each oven has their own temperament.)
9. Once a toothpick inserted in several spots comes out clean, remove the orange cake from the oven. Cool completely on a wire rack.
10. Frost with cream cheese frosting. Decorate with Paradise Candied Orange Peel.