Olives, feta cheese and Greek yogurt swirled into a basic sweet dough gives way to a simple but satisfying bread. After a whir in the bread maker machine, the sliced olives create a pleasant nutty sort of crunch.
- 3 room temperature eggs
- ¼ cup plus 3½ tablespoons 80-90 degree temperature water (feels like lukewarm bath water)
- 6 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 7 tablespoons room temperature cubed unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 6 teaspoons sliced olives
- 7 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 4¼ cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast (active dry, instant or the bread machine kind)
In the order listed above, place all the ingredients into the bread pan of a bread baking machine fitted with a kneading paddle. Select the Dough/Pizza Dough selection. When the dough is mixed, kneaded and has risen, remove the dough from the bread machine.
Place the dough onto a floured cutting board. Divide the dough into three equal parts. Braid the bread. Here’s a link to a true braiding expert.
Leave the braided bread in a warm place and allow the loaf to double in size. Paint a whisked egg on top of the bread. Sprinkle with Penzeys Spices' Mural of Flavor or similar spice blend. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until golden brown.